Monday, February 19, 2007

Home Alone (Funny story)

Two posts in one day! wow! I have to share this story b/c in the daylight, it is funny. Last night, not so much! I am normally a sound sleeper ~ almost 9 years of having a rottweiler beside you while you sleep will do that for you! And, I have been single for 3 years now, so home alone is nothing new. But, home alone with no dog ~ the house makes noises it doesn't make when the dog is here ~ PROMISE!

Last night, around 2:30 am, I woke up to a noise. No big deal I tell myself - go back to sleep. Then a louder noise that sends the cats bolt upright and running for cover!! They are nowhere to be found (some protection they are! ha!). So, I get up and think "what do I do?" I can hear that it is either in the backyard or at the side of the house. I debate calling my neighbors and think, "No, I can handle this." My Dad gave me a pistol a while back, so I got it out and ...(if there were video cameras to catch me sneaking down my hallway with my pistol - LOL! What a sight!) Keep in mind I am still half asleep (and now that you know I have a gun and that is what I grab when scared and half asleep - don't try to pull any pranks on me in the middle of the night!) So here I am & I think I need my cell phone (b/c Oprah said to have it by the bedside b/c the crazies will cut your phone lines - so WHY was it on the kitchen table??) I run to the table - run, not walk b/c I had to go past an open window - ha! (and yes, my gun was on safety this whole time Mom!) Then I flip on the deck light and run back to the hallway. Cats are still hidden & the noise temperarily stopped. I call Kevin on my cell phone - now WHAT can he do 3 hours away? No worries - he never even heard the phone! Men! ha! Then the noise starts up again & I think I have now had time to wake up a bit more b/c I think to myself, "I know that sound!! That is the sound that Rocky's bone used to make on the backdeck when he was chewing on it!" Then it hits me that it MUST be a critter of some sort on the back deck! Sure enough, a BIG, nasty oppossum was dragging a dog bone across the deck and having a good time!

So - I went back to bed. I figured as long as I could hear that dog bone on the deck, nothing was scaring the opossum - which meant there were no boogie men in the backyard! LOL!

And that's my laugh at myself for the day! :-)

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I would have been freaking out too!! ESPECIALLY if I was by myself. Man. That is scary.

SO funny. About 10 years ago I was watching Oprah and I heard her say that about the cell phone thing. Glen was working the 4:30AM shift and I could NOT sleep because I was SO scared someone was going to cut the phone line. Glen and I went the NEXT day and got me a cell phone. So I have Oprah to thank for my very first cell phone. THANKS Oprah!! :)

Lori said...

Oprah knows best! :-)

Anonymous said...

AND YOU WENT OUTSIDE TO TAKE THIS PICTURE!!! Aren't these things dangerou????

Anonymous said...

That was me that just wrote...oops!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Now that's a funny story...do I need to let you borrow Gizmo. He would have stood behind you and yapped at the possum.

Lindsay said...

HAHAHAHAAAA! I would have flipped also!
When Gavin is gone on a trip or something I have like the most sensitive ears... and anyone would be a FOOL to try and break into my house with Sasha being around (I am so kidding, she would lick them and beg for food!)Atleast she looks mean! What a funny story!
and I LOVE me some Oprah!!!

Lori said...

I didn't take this picture - I just found it on the internet. Although it did cross my mind to try and take its picture through the window! ha! But it was 2:30 in the morning - I couldn't be bothered! :-)