Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lessons I've learned

Yesterday marked 5 years since my ex-hubs walked out of our marriage....5 years of being divorced and single...time flies (when you're having fun!) Here's some things I've learned from my divorce:
*Ladies, if you think your husband might be having an affair, he is. Plain and simple. Trust your instincts. God gave them to us for a reason. Don't be afraid to listen to your gut like I was.
*Don't think your friends will rat out your cheating spouse. They won't. No one wants to be the one to tell you and break your heart.
*Let yourself feel the pain of the loss of your marriage. Cry. (but don't cry as long as I did.)
*Know when to let go. Know when it's worth fighting to stay. (Use those instincts again.)
*Don't be nasty during the divorce - especially if you have kids. You are a part of each other's history and lives. Find a way to keep it simple and be civil to each other.
*Learn who your true friends are (not the ones who just want the latest dish so they can gossip)...rely on your true friends to help you through the tough spots.
*Oh, and definitely you need a good dog! Jax was a life saver! :-)
*I had a hard time with being ashamed of the fact that I was divorced. Don't be ashamed.
*Don't worry about what anyone thinks - your true friends and family love you no matter what!
*Don't immediately start dating. Find yourself, your happiness and your independence first.
*Have a "fun fling" before you look for a serious relationship.
*Even though you hate hearing it - that life will get better and you will be happy again. It is true. When you finally let go of the marriage and life that really wasn't happy in the first place, you will find yourself laughing again, reconnecting with old friends, making new friends, and genuinely enjoying life like you are supposed to! I PROMISE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Letting to is hard, but it sounds like it was the best thing for you and I'm proud of the way you've taken charge of your life again. You are proof positive that there really is life after divorce!

Anonymous said...

Letting go....not letting to. LOL Sorry.

Tasha said...

You are such a strong woman. I am happy I can call you a friend.

L said...

Just in case I don't remember to tell you enough - YOU ARE AWESOME! Great words girl. :-)

Lindsey said...

Awesome post Lori!!

Anonymous said...

I could not have wrote that any better.... or agree more... At first you don't see the divorce in that light but when you get over the hill you have to climb out it is so awsome and I second the face you enjoy life so much more...

Here's to all the Happy Divorced Women out there....