Monday, March 31, 2008

Book Review of Sorts

**This post has to do with my New Years Resolution to read more during the school year and keep track of what I read on my blog. Due to the class I am taking at the moment, the books have been slow coming! But I am close to finishing another one this week also!**
Here goes:

Get Your Loved One Sober: Alternatives to Nagging, Pleading, and Threatening

What I thought: I bought this book looking for a book to help me understand the disease of alcoholism better. I was hoping for a book of how to help the recovering alcoholic. (We all know that Kevin is a recovering alcoholic and has been in recovery for 3 years.) We have worked past a few lapses in the past two years, but haven't let them stop the recovery process. I really wanted to be armed with tools to help him even more should a lapse occur again. What really captured my attention about this book was the last chapter titled, Relapse Prevention. But, I still read the whole book. It validated a lot of things for me and is a positive book to read for anyone who struggles with an alcoholic in their life and what to do. If anyone is living with an active drinker, this book would be a huge asset to you. Most of the book deals with the "what to do" when living with an active drinker. It didn't really hit on my particular situation, but was still interesting, and I gained from reading this.

Lines from the Relapse Prevention Chapter that could help anyone:
*We enjoy the good times, work through tough times, and generally keep moving forward one step at a time.
*Real life is full of ups and downs, as you well know, and the difference between people who get stuck in the downs and those who do not is how they interpret them.
*Everybody makes mistakes. (sooo true!)

Summary from the book jacket: Here is a book for those who have "tried everything" to get their loved one sober all to no avail. Using this compassionate yet effective approach, spouses, lovers, parents, or children of problem drinkers or drug users can improve the quality of their own lives while making sobriety a more rewarding option for their loved ones than drinking or doing drugs. This book provides the guidance and tools you need to recognize how you and your loved one interact and to change patterns to achieve healthier, happier results.

0 comments: