Monday, November 12, 2007

Snakes 101

You guessed it...he did it AGAIN! Only this time...it was ALIVE, and Kevin was at work!!! I admit that I panicked at first a bit when I saw it, but then I also realized that both cats (yes Nala got in on the action) were keeping it corralled to one area.....so I had time to gather my wits and find a pair of shoes. I just kept thinking "ewww...what if slithers over and touches me!" So...once I had shoes on, I decided I had a minute to call Kevin at work and yell at him for lying to me that snakes were in hibernation right now! Whatever! :-) Now, I needed a plan...better get a picture of the ticked off LIVE snake in my house for my bloggers (see what a good, thoughtful blogger I am!) Ok...shoes, yelled at Kevin, and took a picture...now how do I get this thing out of my house!!! A BROOM!!! I ran to the garage and grabbed a broom and opened the backdoor. I hit him towards the door about three times (boy was he getting mad too!). Once he saw the open door, he was gone...slithered right on out and under the deck. Then, I thought "crap! I just let him go! Why didn't I kill him?" Oh well....maybe he'll be in hibernation soon???

I did get this picture too so my imagination wouldn't later run wild with me, and I could identify him with my handy dandy Arkansas Game and Fish Snake Guide. Turns out, he is a harmless Garter Snake - but, a snake IN THE HOUSE just the same! And yes, I have decided to let Simba live - so far! He is in big trouble though!! And believe it or not, I still wouldn't go without that doggie door. The good far outweighs the bad!!

Here are some snake facts I researched after this:
*Snakes will defend themselves by biting when attacked or feeling threatened, otherwise they will attempt to retreat from humans. (think the broom was threatening? ha!)
*If the head is chopped off, or the body cut in two or crushed by a large object, the snake will die immediately. (duh?)
*However, for a short time after decapitation, the latent nerves in the head can cause the head to bite. (great!)

Want to prevent snakes in your house or yard?
*don't get a cat! (LOL!)
*Keep your lawn mowed short (oops!)
*Remove piles of logs, brush, rocks or other debris on the ground. (oops again!)
*Make sure home is well-sealed.
*Minimize mulch and low-growing flower or plant beds immediately around the house. (darn it!)

I see some serious yard work in my immediate future!!!
Freakin' Cat!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post has me cracking up! I would have totally flipped out if that snake was in my house!

Lindsey said...

OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

NOt again!!

Hibernation??? Huh, apparently not!!!!!

Tasha said...

I can't even put my feet down right now I have the willies..........

Tan said...

I've got the willies too, but I also have a new respect for you Miss Lori!!! You do have your priorities straight! Shoe-ing, yelling, photographing, and then , shoo-ing. You are soooo my role model. LOL

Steff said...

Okay, I have to stop reading this blog because I'm afraid this will happen at my house!

Anonymous said...

And you wonder why you couldn't find a house sitter.
Peggy

Trina said...

Are you serious?! I can barely look at the photograph of the snake let alone try to figure out how to get it outside or kill it! I would have been screaming the whole time. Instincts in me!! I...Could....Not....handle....that!!! hahaha