Sunday, September 02, 2007

Strike One...

Kevin and I have known each other since we were in 1st grade or before, because we grew up in the same small Baptist church together. So, one would think that would make us looking for a home church together easy - right? WRONG! It is the only thing that has caused us to really argue! First issue is that Kevin is a confirmed Episcopal ~ his ex-wife was Episcopal. He LOVED it! He says he felt like he was finally home when he walked in that church. I admit that when he talks about it, I am curious, b/c I am a pretty open-minded person. The Episcopal church from what he has said, seems to be the place for the open-minded. For instance, they welcome gay people in their church. (I do NOT want to start a debate here!!) But, I have in the past few weeks read in the Bible about being gay, and it is my understanding that yes, it is a sin ~ but a sin is a sin is a sin. It isn't the ultimate sin AND as a Christian, we should love everybody regardless of their background - kind of a hate the sin, not the sinner thing. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Baptist see it this way. I have friends that are gay ~ it doesn't bother me. Maybe I should look into other churches besides Baptist? I don't know!?! I'm very confused...and this is getting off topic of us looking for a home church. So, let me get back to topic - would it be weird to possibly convert to a religion that he was introduced to by his ex-wife????

After fussing for a few weeks over Baptist and Episcopal churches, I thought I had found the solution for us ~ non-denominational!!! AH-HA! I had heard good things about this church. It is a HUGE church...which I know there are benefits, but I like smaller churches. However, I could see big possibilities with this church when I looked it up on-line. There were several small groups that meet - even a recovery group every Tuesday for Kevin. They even had a Monday night service - which I thought was a fabulous idea for when you go out of town and stuff. You can still make the Monday night service! The church started in '95 with 25 people and has grown to 5,000 with 2 Sunday services. So, with open minds, we went this morning. We knew it was BIG when they were out directing traffic to tell you where to park. My first sign should have been when we parked, and the BIG truck pulling into the spot beside us hit my mirror - and no he didn't apologize! We went inside, and it felt like you were walking into a mall or shopping center - not church. Then, the worship center was really big and there were chairs - not pews. (I am a bit too traditional - I know - I even have a hard time with not wearing a skirt to church & yes, there were people in shorts!! SHORTS! ha! I like that you can wear anything to church these days, but I can't do it! ha!) I didn't feel the love - I felt like I was at a seminar or conference - not church. It just wasn't warm or inviting. Kevin didn't feel it either...so strike one! And, the search for our home church continues...we have two other options in mind to go visit...I know it may take more than one visit, but this one today was a NO from the get-go. So...give us a prayer that we find a home church & if you are local and reading this, shoot me an email and give me a suggestion!

*I just read back over this and ... I think I am open-minded in some areas and not in others! ha! The ideal church for me would not judge others ~ it would be welcoming to all. I would like a slightly smaller church, but with some programs and benefits of the bigger churches. Good luck - right? ha!

4 comments:

la bellina mammina said...

wearing shorts to chursh?? That's it a HUGE NO NO!
Good luck:-)

Steff said...

Finding the right church is hard...I've been on the look out for a new church since I moved...last year. I finally settled on a church where people from work went. I wouldn't say I'm completely happy there but I know people. I think I'm going to start hunting again.

You should always find a place that works for you guys. I grew up in a Baptist church (a very fundamental church...they even told one couple they couldn't join unless they got married because they were just living together) so I understand where you're coming from. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ok, you first should get the word "religion" out of your brains. It's not about religion...religion SUCKS! It's about Jesus, and loving people, and enjoying the "church" you are going to. "church" being the people, not the building. You can go to 5 different episcopal churches and not like any of them, and then love number 6. You just have to keep searching, and in the mean time, keep reading your bible. And read it together!!! And as far as I know, Baptists are very strict about gay people. Like you said, being gay is a sin, but so is lying and murder...none are weighed more than the next they are all sins. Like you said "love the sinner, hate the sin." I've had gay friends, and I've had gay christian friends, who didn't practice because they knew it was wrong. I think it's great that you two are looking for a church home together. Keep looking!!!

One more thing, the church you described usually seems cold at first because they are so huge. However, they usually have amazing small groups, and visiting those groups is how you get involved in those churches.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with the comment above....our church isn't that big but I did feel the same when we first went, but for some reason we went back and I do love it there now.....BUT also so like she said.....don't get twisted up in the little things and forget that the only thing that really matters is your relationship with JESUS!! People get so tied up is arguing over little things that they forget about the big picture....that's how a lot of different denominations got started.
Michelle
P>S> Call Chris he can give you advice!!