Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Facts of Life...

Last night was NOT a good night! I feel like I'm all about gloom and doom lately, but I gotta let out my frustrations as well as the good stuff. I am pretty open about the fact that Kevin is an alcoholic. (Although I don't usually tell new folks until they've actually met him b/c I don't want him to be pre-judged.) We just celebrated 9 months sober last week, and we are starting over today...today is Day 1 of sobriety. He slipped up last night and drank. Yep, NOT a good night!!

Without going into the details of what happened b/c that isn't fair to him, I will "let out" my feelings! I know that slips happen when alcoholics try to get sober. I know that they relapse sometimes 7, 8, 9 times before the sobriety finally takes hold for good. I know a slip can happen anyday. Trust me! But that doesn't make the disappointment and hurt any less. It just isn't fair to him or me...if you know him or have known him his whole life like I have, you know that he has the biggest heart. He is such a fun-loving, sensitive, good person. He doesn't deserve to have to struggle with this the rest of his life. (and neither do I) But, it is like my friend said who has a husband with MS ~ people tried to tell her not to get serious about him or marry him b/c it would be too hard of a life. She said you don't turn off the love you have for someone b/c they have a disease. It may be easy for people to think or say you can, but it isn't when you love someone to just walk away. And, alcoholism IS a DISEASE. A very ugly one.

I have to admit that I was FURIOUS with him last night ~ especially once I had the keys and knew he was safe. I let him have it with everything I had too - I think I cussed him worse than I would my own dog! (I will be saying prayers for weeks asking forgiveness for all the foul words that came out of my mouth!!) I doubt he remembers much of what I yelled at him last night though. It was difficult to take or watch someone you love like that...but at the same time, I wanted to throttle him!!!! This morning, I hadn't cooled off much either, so he got round 2 of the wrath of Lori. After a full day at work, I have calmed down a bit, but I am still pissed & hurt & disappointed & angry...but now more at the disease and circumstances than at him. Although, still at him too...if that makes sense. He struggles and has come SO far, but he has to learn how to deal with life's curve balls WITHOUT drinking!

He is at work now & has attended an AA meeting today already. He at least is in the right frame of mind that this is NOT going to set him back. He slipped and will move on with sobriety. I will support him as long as he is working towards sobriety. I couldn't be with him if every night was like last night - no way! But, we are all human. I will forgive him - I don't think I have yet - but I will. And, we will start all over with the trust, and the meetings, and the days, but that is OK as long as we are staying sober AND happy!

You know that as a human being, we worry what other people think - don't think I haven't worried about that. I hate to admit that I have...I also admit that I don't confide much in my friends about this b/c in the back of my mind, I wonder "do they think I'm nuts for dating him?" Well...I am sure there are those that do think that - we all have our opinions. But please, remember, that it is a disease and he is TRYING. And remember that the good outweighs the bad - he loves me and shows me on a daily basis. ok - I am not going to try to justify anything...but if you have a negative opinion, please keep it to yourself. Right now, we need encouragement and prayers...Kevin more so than me. So, if you pray, say a prayer tonight that Kevin has the strength he needs to overcome his battles.

Thanks for listening (if you are still here! ha!). I feel better just getting some of that off my chest!

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry, and Kevin, I hope you find the strength to keep on going. I know you will because Lori loves you and you love her. My prayers are with you both. I think everyone can find something negative and challenging with their mate that they don't like to talk about for fear of judgement from others. None of that is here from me!! Just keep your head in the game and trying your best to support him and he'll get there. One step, one day, one month at a time. Your friend is right when she said you fall in love with the person, not the disease. Happy and strengthening thoughts and prayers coming your way. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm sure that words cannot help - except to say that I've been there before with my dad...and others out there are going through the exact same thing - so you are not alone! I encourage you to go to an al-anon meeting once or twice a week. It will help listening to people that are going through the same problem.

Alcoholism is a VERY UGLY and PAINFUL disease. It hurts and cuts to the core. It makes you angry and bitter at those that have it - no matter how much you love them.

It's human to fall "off the wagon", but it isn't a failure unless you STAY off the wagon. I'm glad to see he's back in AA again today and is trying again.

That being said, I know you are still disappointed. It's not the same falling off the wagon with something like binging while you are on a diet as it is alcohol because alcohol is also a very DANGEROUS drug! I'm glad you got the keys away from him.

Take care of yourself sweetheart! You can't give up on those that you love, but sometimes they have to have a setback/fail/make a mistake in order to realize what's more important to them so they can change. You definitely need to take care of yourself. You can't make yourself sick over worrying about him.

We'll talk more on Friday night. I love ya very much and you and Kevin will be in my prayers!

Tan said...

I'm so sorry, Lori! But you know you do not have to explain anything to anybody. It's really nobody's business why you love Kevin, and your true friends will never think you are silly for dating him. In fact, you could be the one to make a difference for him and help him in defeating this awful disease. You are right, you cannot turn off love just because someone messes up. I worked for a physician when my husband and I were dating and once he took a look at my now husband's MRI report and diagnosed his back issues he said "Oh, forget him...", knowing that he would struggle with pain the rest of his life. I remember how that made me feel. It was so not fair! I would never "forget" him because he had an injury, just as you would never "forget" Kevin because he struggles with alcoholism. Just hang in there, let Kevin know you absolutely dislike his actions last night but that does not change how you feel about him as a man! As long as Kevin is trying to help himself, then he is worth your love and support no matter how many times he slips. To err is human, right? Good luck to both of you!

Anonymous said...

I love you Lori, and you too, Kevin! You can do this - you have soooo many people that love you and support you.

Sandy

Steff said...

First, don't feel bad about venting. This is your blog and you should feel comfortable saying whatever here.

You have every right to be upset with what happened and I think you were justified in letting him know how you felt. But I'm sure that he feels bad so now it's time to forgive and start supporting again. My dad doesn't drink but he does smoke. And I'm always on some sort of diet. Whatever you're trying to kick we all slip. And we all beat ourselves up in the morning light. Sometimes just knowing that we've got support helps. And I'm sure Kevin knows that. Like just about everything else, sobriety is one step at a time.

You both can do this!

la bellina mammina said...

I'm sorry that it happened. I hope both of you will find the strength to get through this together, and with your love, faith and understanding, you WILL get through it.

My thoughts and prayers are with both of you.

Anonymous said...

I don't pray, but will be thinking of you guys. You have my positive thoughts!

Day 1 is better than Day 0!

Tasha said...

Oh Lori, I am so sorry. It takes a strong person to beat the disease, but I think it takes an even stronger person to sit by and watch. Kevin is so lucky he has someone like you in his life. Times will be hard yes, but hard times make you stronger. Good luck to both of you. Keep us updateed too!

PS. don't worry about venting. It helps, it really does!

Lindsay @ Splat Designs said...

Ahhhh, I have not read blogs in a while.
Girl, I wish I could come and take you out and have a girls day!

Venting does help...
please call or email if you need anything!
LOVE YOU

L said...

Love, hugs, prayers, boxer wiggles, and hope vibes headed your way this week, honey!

Trina said...

Im so sorry Lori! That sounds like a bad night for you. However, we are ALL flawed, and we need the support where we can get it. Not to say that you should stay in a bad situation, but he is TRYING, and there is much good! You have a right to have all those emotions. I would too. Nonetheless it is good to forgive and to look for brighter days. Im glad that he is right back in there, trying again. One day at a time. That is all we can ask for, right? Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

So sorry that this happened for both of you. Start again one step at a time and don't give up. You guys still have so many more happy days together than bad days so hang in there and I know you will get through this together!
Peggy