Monday, June 23, 2008

Visitors

That's me and Kevin - just visiting churches...searching for one that fits us. And, I feel like we scream visitor when we walk in...you know when everyone kind of looks at you trying to figure out who you are. I hate being uncomfortable - Kevin is great at the small talk, so I stand by quietly soaking it all in and let him do all the talking. Anyway...I have mentioned before this isn't easy, and with his work schedule, we just kind of gave up and kept going to the church I've been going to for the past year or so with my cousin. But, Kevin now only has to work one Sunday a month, and it is time to find a home church.

So...yesterday, we went to visit the church next door to my school. One of my students goes there, and we had gone in December to watch her in the Christmas play. Everyone was really friendly, and it was the size of church we had in mind. Now, remember, we were both raised Baptist in the same church in our hometown ~ that's how we've known each other for so long. But, then I married a preacher's son who no longer believes in the church and Kevin married an Episcopal, and loved the church and felt like he was finally "home". Now we are facing...what are we? Where do we start? I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE with church discussions, I just want to find what is best for me and Kevin. The church I've been attending, I love the preacher - he never looses my attention and that isn't easy. But, it is a Baptist church and if we get right down to it, it doesn't match our beliefs. Kevin and I are both liberal in our beliefs - he probably even more than me. But, we want a church that welcomes ALL people from all walks of life -gay, straight, married, divorced, black or white. We both have gay friends and want them welcome in the church. Right or wrong, we don't think it's our place to judge them.

So, yesterday, we visited a Methodist church. Keep in mind that I have only really ever been to a Baptist church, so it was very different for me. However, there were lots of things I liked. I liked the children's time - they called all the kids down to the front during the service and took about 5 to 10 minutes to talk to them. I liked the minister (is it called a minister in the Methodist church? and it was a women, so does that change it? I have no clue!), but she was good. But, I missed having my little sheet to take notes. If I am active in the message, then I can pay attention better and get more from it. I liked the congregation standing and reciting versus or prayers together. (although, I got confused on what to do next). I didn't really enjoy the music. They had an organ and I know lots of people LOVE the organ, but I thought it was overpowering and all you could hear.

I don't know...this isn't easy. I know we have to give it more than one visit. I also know that not all Baptist churches are the same, so not all Methodist will be the same. I get to pick this go around of visiting and Kevin picks next. Our goal is to visit a month and then try somewhere else until we find the place that we know is it. We know there is no such thing as a perfect church, we aren't perfect either - we just want the church that fits best for us. Surely it is out there - right?

**opinions are welcome on how to find a church or even churches we should visit. However, I am in NO way trying to debate religion or the different denominations.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Just keep going until you "click" with someone. I think (I'm not telling you what to do just telling you what worked for us) that it's more than the church you choose, it's the minister/preacher/pastor themself. That's what we found. It did happen to be Kenny's parents' church, the one he grew up going to (they had since moved locations and upsized), but it was funny how one day we both commented on really connecting with one particular pastor. I am lutheran, Kenny is presbyterian, and the church is presbyterian, but it works. When you feel the connection to a certain person or the church itself together, you'll know. It's like knowing if you are with the right person...you just know. Good luck, and kudos to both of you for taking the time to do it and do this together. Yet another reason you are so good together!!

Anonymous said...

I remember when we first moved to Benton and were looking for a new church home. We visited several, and I remember saying that what I wanted was to feel the presence of God. I understand you looking to find the right church home for you and Kevin and I want you to find the perfect fit - whether it is the one we attend or another one. Love ya!

Lori said...

Thanks girl! You know I do love the message and have gotten attached to that church, but am trying to be fair and find a place that fits us both.