Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A little venting does the heart good....

Some people should really just think before they speak...or maybe I have PMS and am overreacting ~ we can't rule that out! LOL! What it boils down to is that it doesn't matter because either way, I got my feelings hurt, and I will stew on it unless I vent...so here goes!

A few of us were sitting around making small talk (I am not naming any names here...) and the topic of decorating for Christmas comes up. This person who really should THINK before she speaks turns to me and says, "Oh, I guess you don't have to do much. Do you?" What the??? What does that mean? Here's where I get irritated ~ what does she mean, because I don't have a husband and kids that I don't have to do much? Yes, I still decorate for Christmas even though it is just me. And, I just have to say it really pisses me off that some people think there is something wrong with that!! I am not lonely or miserable because I don't have a husband and kids - I mean, let's face it - I was more lonely and miserable when I WAS married! Geez! Would I like to have kids someday? Yes, but do I want it rubbed in my face that I don't? NO! Personally, I am proud of myself that I have made choices in my life that have kept me from having kids that would now be traveling from Mom to Dad on weekends, AND that I have spent time being single and not rushing into a second marriage! I mean, give me a freakin' break! My life would still count and be just as important if I never remarried or had kids! And, while I'm at it, people just shouldn't say things like that especially if they don't know someones history. I mean, what if I couldn't have kids? URGH!

"I guess you don't have much to do"...well, I have more of a life than this rude person! So there...I'm done! Thanks for letting me vent! :-)

9 comments:

Steff said...

Sometimes you just need a good vent. It does sound like she was being inconsiderate. On the other hand, I've said a lot of things before I truly thought about it so maybe she didn't mean it the way it sounded. Again, I usually react like you did so I can completely see where you are coming from. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and try to think of things from others' perspectives.

All that to say I completely agree!

Lindsey said...

I have ALWAYS hated when people (mostly women) make broad statements like that. I'm not married either, don't have any kids, but still have PLENTY of things to do (and I'm not talking about wedding stuff either). It's so mean to say that!! You are no less busy than anyone else, kids or no kids, husband or no husband. And i think it's a huge accomplishment that you were married once, recognizedt that it wasn't working, were adult enough to make changes in your life so that you BECAME happy, and look what you have? Your OWN house, cute furry babies, an awesome teaching job, and the best part of all, KEVIN!! Who makes you and happy and wants to be with you and vice versa. THAT is a busy life girl, but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't trade it for anything. So don't feel bad because you aren't the same as someone else. You are just as busy and into Christmas stuff as the next person!

Unknown said...

I'm right there with ya. Sometimes I have so much to do that I think I will drop over dead soon from exhuastion. No kids doesn't mean not busy. That's just retarded. Err.

Erika said...

Very well said!! Of course you should decorate for Christmas, you celebrate it. I don't decorate my house for my kid, I do it because I enjoy how it looks. People can be so ignorant!!

la bellina mammina said...

How insensitive! I think she's just jealous and RUDE!
It's the same when people make comments to me about me having nothing to do as I'm no longer working.. Well, H-E-L-L-O, I really would like to trade places with these people, see how they manage running a household full of boys. There, better now;-)

Tasha said...

Wow, how rude...It is such a chame that some people in this world still think that its a womans job to have children and a family...You and Kevin make a great family and decorate the hell out your house honey! :)

L said...

Stupid people. Put a voodoo christmas curse on her! Heh heh!

Tan said...

Sometimes people just don't think. I was one of those who (at the time) was not able to have children and I got asked about babies over and over and over. It cut really deep! I also get remarks from people that I don't have a "real" job just because I do MT from my home. That irks me beyond belief!! We all need to vent sometimes, let it fly!! If I were you, I'd bake cookies for the lady that made the remark and include a note to say something like "Just a little something I whipped up in my SPARE time!" haha

Anonymous said...

"Name and social security number?"

Seriously. I'll find him or her and completely slap the shit out of them for you. NOBODY talks to my sweet Lori like that. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!