Saturday, December 08, 2007

Faith, Family, & Friends...

**warning - long post!!**
For whatever reason, the past two days I have been feeling very sentimental. Maybe it is the season...I got a little teary eyed during part of the Christmas pageant last night, and today Mom called with some sad news about a friend of hers. Her old boss that we grew up knowing - she worked for him for something like 25 years - was diagnosed with cancer. He hadn't been feeling good for a few weeks. Within 2 days of being diagnosed, he is in ICU and went into code blue last night, but they were able to bring him back. How scary it is to me to think that one minute we are going along with life and all is fine, and the next day, we could be gone. It really makes you stop and think - do you have any regrets? Anything you've been putting off saying to someone? Is someone you should say I love you to? Amends that need to made? A hug to give? His kids do not deserve to lose their dad so early - they already lost their mom way too early a few years ago. It just doesn't seem fair...I can't imagine my Mom not being there to call whenever I need her - even to ask a simple question. It breaks my heart for this family - what they are going through right now.

I have found that I have started to rely on my faith more and more. Last week, when I had a stressful moment, I reached for my Bible to read a few verses. I am grateful that my faith is getting stronger each day. Prayer is a powerful thing - please say a prayer for this family tonight. And, be thankful for the family that you have with you today! We just never know what tomorrow brings...

A few weeks back the pastor said in his sermon, the three most important things in life aren't things - the three most important things are faith, family, and friends. That just makes perfect sense - doesn't it? If we've got those three things, how can we go wrong? :-)

Maybe I should've titled this Philosophical - ha! Thanks for reading if you are still with me! Hugs to all my friends and family who read!! I'll leave you with this email that I recieved almost a year ago...it reminded me of Kevin and really fits all family and friends...

Two Horses
Just up the road from my home is a field, with two horses in it.
From a distance, each looks like every other horse.
But if you stop your car, or are walking by, you will notice something quite amazing. Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind.
His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him. This alone is amazing.
If nearby and listening, you will hear the sound of a bell.
Looking around for the source of the sound, you will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to her halter is a small bell.
It lets her blind friend know where she is, so he can follow her.
As you stand and watch these two friends, you'll see how she is always checking on him, and that he will listen for her bell and then slowly walk to where she is, trusting that she will not lead him astray.
When she returns to the shelter of the barn each evening, she stops occasionally and looks back, making sure her friend isn't too far behind to hear the bell.
Like the owners of these two horses, God does not throw us away just because we are not perfect or because we have problems or challenges.
He watches over us and even brings others into our lives to help us when we are in need.
Sometimes we are the blind horse being guided by the little ringing bell of those who God places in our lives.
Other times we are the guide horse, helping others see.
Good friends are like this .......... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there.
Please listen for my bell and I'll listen for yours.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's beautiful Lori!! You're right, we all need to appreciate what we have!!

Steff said...

I agree...totally touching and beautiful! I also don't know what I would do without my mom. I'm hoping that God comes back for us before He decides to take her home without me. She's my rock.

Tan said...

You are so right, Lori. You never know from day to day what life is going to bring. I will be praying for your friend and his family.

Tasha said...

You are so right...I try to tell my family everyday that I love them and I try to soak up the moments as they pass!