Friday, July 18, 2008

The Garden

Last year, the garden was pretty pitiful b/c Kevin didn't live here to take care of it. This year with him here to tend to it, the garden has been awesome! He planted green beans, cucumbers, carrots, corn, cabbage, several kinds of tomatoes, squash, and several peppers. Early on, we had trouble with some critters - rabbits and squirrels - and had to start over on our tomatoes. So far the only thing that really hasn't come in for some reason was the squash. So, Kevin says we are going to plant pumpkins. We could have our own pumpkin patch!! And, with all our pets around here, we could charge a petting zoo/pumpkin patch entry fee! ha!

This was Kevin's first time to plant corn, and we were so excited when we got to pick some and eat corn from our own garden. I have even learned how to "blanch" the veggies and get them ready to go in the freezer for some fall/winter eating. Next year, the garden is going to be even bigger and I am going to learn how to can veggies from Kevin's mom. How cool is that?
I think our favorite thing (as well as Nibbles the guinea pig who is home from the classroom for the summer) is the carrots. You really can't tell what they are doing unless you pull one up and then you are like - wow! (or at least, I am, but I am easily entertained!) From the looks of it, so is he: (this is what they look like right now...almost ready)
Anyway...I have been meaning to share pictures of the garden b/c it has been another thing Kevin and I have enjoyed doing together...I was going to leave it all up to him, but then it got fun going out to pick and seeing how much I could find to bring back in with me!
Our dog, Jax, is old and retired from his opossum, squirrel, rabbit chasing days. He will happily just watch them eat from the garden while he lounges on the deck or the couch IN THE AIR CONDITIONER! But, luckily, we have our hunter, Simba, who likes to patrol the backyard and keep the critters under control!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Awww, the little hunter is so fuzzy cute! And the garden looks great too. Thanks for "planting" the idea in my head to get some of my gram's plants from her house to plant at my house. Great idea, and I'm going to do just that!

Tasha said...

The garden sounds awesome I am needing some of those veggies.

la bellina mammina said...

great job Kevin! Those veggies look so yummy!