Thursday, May 03, 2007

Opinions Please!!


My final is over - I don't really having a feeling about it one way or the other, but I'll let you know when I find out how I did! :-)

Now...down to business...I need honest Mommy opinions please! One of my 3rd grade girls went to the library yesterday for free flow (meaning taking a hallpass and going by herself - not with the whole class). She met up with a boy from another class while in the library. The book section for most 2nd and 3rd grade books is the back corner, and they can easily make themselves not seen. So...they kissed in the back corner of the library. GREAT! What do I do with this??? We weren't kissing when I was in 3rd grade. I think I would be upset if it were my daughter, but I don't know b/c I don't have kiddo's. I emailed the parents to let them know what happened & told them she wouldn't be allowed to go to the library by herself anymore. I also took away her skating trip in a few weeks (that is a good behavior incentive field trip). Was that too harsh or am I just too soft?

So...what do you think? For this age, big deal or no big deal? Punishment too harsh or not enough?

What a week!!! LOL!

7 comments:

la bellina mammina said...

think you did great with taking away her pass and informing the parents. Maybe not letting her to go for the skating trip is a bit too harsh? Perhaps a gentle warning that her future excursions will be suspended if it happens again? After all she's only in her 3rd grade. But then again, what a 'naughty'3rd grader!!

On the other hand, could it be a dare from one of her friends to kiss the boy?

Anonymous said...

I think you did everything right. And if the parent's care for their child they'll support your decision. My friends little boy got caught writing a note to his "girlfriend" that said he wanted to marry her and have sex with her (second graders!) and the school called both parents. I don't know what happened with the girl, but my friend and her hubby were not happy!

Anonymous said...

PS: I was kissing that young, I think mostly because I didn't have a stable childhood and needed or wanted the attention. Do you know anything about her home life?

marykathryn said...

Well I think that you did great as well!! I have a little one about that age and he would be in BIG trouble!! As far as the skating party well I think that is a decision that maybe you should think about.. if their are any other kids not going and what was their behavior like compared to this act...are they in comparison?? If you are feeling that this discipline is too harsh maybe you can give her a chance to earn her way back to the skating party..Plus what was the little boy's discipline?? I think they should be on the same level.

Lori said...

Ok - I worried and worried about it all night & emailed the parents this morning. I decided to leave it up to them if she goes skating or not! Whew...that's a load off! ha!

Lindsey said...

I think you made the right move. Taking away good behavior privileges is the right thing to do. And I'm sure the parents will not only support you, but THANK you too. And congrats on the final being over. I was shaky and very nervous when I popped my paper in the mail, but then I was much like you are feeling right now...blah. Just glad to have my life back. I'm sure you did great!

Tasha said...

Wow 3rd grade is way to young to be kissing or even thinking about stuff like that. I think contacting the parents was the best thing to do and also leaving it up to them is a good idea too. I know for sure I would give a HUGE talkin to Hannah if that were to happen to us.