Sunday, December 07, 2008

Pros & Cons

Well, the cat is out of the bag that Kevin & I are discussing a possible move to be closer to John 3:16. For those of you that don't know, John 3:16 is a 2 hour drive from where we live now. We decided to look into a few things this week and make a pro/con list of relocating. Basically, this is our list....(what is funny is that our lists were almost identical!)

Pros:
1. The biggest pro was being closer to John 3:16 (I gave this one a weight of counting as 3 pro's in one). By being closer a) Kevin has more support in his addiction b) we will both be able to give back to a place that has given us both so much c) John 3:16 is like an extended family
2. We would be an hour closer to our families. (As in, my Mom would be 45 minutes away and when kids come into the picture, I can easily call for help!)
3. small town atmosphere (We are both originally from a small town - actually the football rivals of the one we are debating moving to....hmmm?)
4. Cost of living is lower.
5. Crime level is lower. (Kevin argued this point, but crime has been on my mind lately.)
6. Dry county with a much longer drive to the nearest liquor store. We live in a dry county now but the liquor store is 2 miles down the road at the county line.
7. Job opportunities are better for Kevin because that community is SO supportive of the graduates at John 3:16. He already has job offers.
8. Kevin would have access to the concessions trailer at John 3:16, and we all know his dream is to cater and run concessions. (and I want to help him sling BBQ someday!)
9. We could have a fresh start!

Cons:
1. I would miss my friends BAD! (that includes family friends, work friends, scrap friends - everybody!)
2. I would take a BIG pay cut! (Anywhere from $10,000 to $12,000)
3. Selling my house (not a sellers market right now and I would miss my house).
4. Small town (yes, this is a pro and a con - you get it if you've ever lived in a small town)....no good restaurants, decent movie theatre, not sure if they even have Wal-Mart!
5. Quality of the school district isn't as good as where we are now.

So, there you have it! And, yes, Kevin did say today that I would be the one making all the sacrifices if we moved, and that he didn't feel that was fair. It would be easy for him to move, because the only thing keeping him here is me. That being said, I am the one who brought up moving, not him, because I feel a pull to give back to John 3:16. But, maybe we can do that without moving...no decisions are being made lightly or without thought and prayer.

Any thoughts? Be honest!

5 comments:

L said...

Wow - that's a BIG decision! I understand you want to give Kevin the best "go" at living sober. But it's still totally up to HIM(with your full support of course.) I don't think moving will change that - if he's going to be sober he needs to be able to do it wherever he is at that moment. However if you both feel comfortable w/the move and it's BOTH what you really want then go for it. Just be able to make the decision w/a totally willing heart b/c you don't want to pack up you life and then regret it in 6 months or be resentful if he relapses. Starting over in a new town is hard enough & then add to it Kevin's new struggles of life outside of John 3:16 it might be tougher than you anticipate. We of course would miss you if you left but only wish you and Kevin happiness together in whatever you choose. :-)

Hugs!

Tasha said...

Wow that is a big one...Sorry no words of wisdom today...

Lori said...

You are off the hook Tasha - you've got enough going on to think about! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

All I can offer are my thoughts and prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys are doing the right thing -- taking your time and weighing all the options. This one is tough. A fresh start is always good, and being close to family is a must as well! The friends and the pay cut, those are the stoppers for me. Of course, you will always be friends no matter how many miles separate you and with Kevin's new job opportunities maybe your decrease in salary won't matter as much... I'm being of absolutely no help here am I?? Maybe you could split the difference?? Move somewhere in the middle between where you are now and where you are considering moving to??? Aw heck, you should just pick up and move to West Virginia and we'll hang out and I'll be your new scrap buddy! LOL (We have lots of Wal-Marts! LOL)