Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hometown News

I don't even know what to say except that this has weighed on me all day! These were outstanding women!! Please keep these families in your prayers!!


Truck Crashes into Restaurant, Killing Two
Wednesday September 06, 2006 8:04pm Posted By: Amanda Manatt

___ KATV Interact ___ • Signup for eNews AlertsWhats Your Opinion?Printable VersionE-Mail This Story
Newport - Two women are killed and five others injured when a truck crosses the center line and hits a fast-food restaurant in Newport. Current and former school teachers there were gathered at the Hardee's restaurant for their weekly night out together. The fatal accident happened about 7:00 Tuesday night on Arkansas Highway 367. Police say the truck was traveling southbound when it crossed the center line and the northbound lanes before crashing into the side of the building. Many in the small community of Newport are still in shock. This group of teachers had been getting together on Tuesday nights for years. Police tape surrounds the Newport Hardee's Wednesday, along with a wreath set up in memory of Beverly Tapp, who had just retired after 30 years of teaching and Jane Wright, a long-time secretary at Newport Schools. Both died of their injuries. Two other victims remain in serious condition.Jennifer Keedy had known the women for 30 years.(Jennifer Keedy, Friend) "I normally was with them and my daughter-in-law and grandson would be with them. Last night I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't come. I don't know why me."The driver, 44-year-old Gary W. Nicholson, had been out on probation for unrelated charges. He remains in police custody on DWI and drug charges and refusing a chemical test. Other charges are expected to be made later this week.

1 comments:

L said...

Ohh - how devastating. I heard a sound bite on the news on this yesterday but didn't see the story. Did you or your family know these ladies?
I'll send up some prayers for their families.