Thursday, May 22, 2008

Venting

I really wonder WHY we have agencies in place to help children when they don't do anything!!!??? Anyone have that answer...seriously! I have taught for 10 years now and unfortunately have seen some serious abuse and not ONCE have I seen DHS help these kids. They trust us as teachers and counselors when they come to us - it takes alot of courage for these kids to tell what they do and then I feel like we let them down b/c all we can do is call DHS and they don't do anything! I have had kids beat with extension cords, hit in the face with belt buckles, and beat with whelps all over their backs ... and they send them right back home to "investigate" - which from what I can tell, means nothing!!! I know that some of parents are young or just need some parenting classes, but some are just child abusers - flat out! I mean, who thinks it's ok to beat or spank with a freakin' extension cord? I know one child who was beat with one and tried to crawl under the bed to get away and was pulled out by his feet to get beat more...and nothing happened!
So - to answer some of your questions about 'did it get reported?' Yes, it was reported. Keep in mind that this child was beat FOR TELLING US and DHS calling....so if you get it for telling when you know DHS is watching or "investigating", then why send her home again??? Obviously, your "investigating" doesn't intimidate this woman or maybe she realizes it doesn't matter b/c they aren't going to do anything anyway! URGH!
I have literally had my heart ripped out two days in a row sending this child to get on the bus and back into this situation. She gets sick to her stomach right before school is out - nerves I am sure. I cannot imagine what she is going home to...I'm sure I would be sickened. I just want to bring her home with me, but there is nothing we can do except keep bugging DHS to help her.
So - please keep praying for her. Pray for her to be safe and that we are able to get some help for her soon!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep her in my prayers... it is awful when you try and try and the little girl has this courage to seek help and yet she is failed...

I see it here also and it is so sad...

Tasha said...

That is so sad...I wish there was somthing more we all could do for these kids...

Anonymous said...

I cannot even imagine using an extension cord (or anything) for hitting a child. This has to be so heartbreaking for you to know what she is going home to. Hopefully somebody somewhere will do something soon. I'd like to have a few minutes alone with this parent. I wouldn't need the extension cord.

Anonymous said...

She is lucky to have a great teacher to try to get her some help. She must really trust you to ask for help. I'll keep her in my prayers.
Peggy